First thing we should all think about is safety. Depending on the number of persons you have invited, you may want to designate a few to watch over the pool area at all times (or rotate the duties) so no children or under the influence adults become hurt. Another suggestion is to hire a trained life guard for the event so you can relax and enjoy your company.
- Provide a changing room for guests to use for changing, and storing their belongings while they are pool side.
- Create shade areas for guests to beat the heat.
- Have extra tables and chairs in the yard so drink and food can be set down and a guest can be comfortable
- Use plastic dishes when poolside. A broken piece of glass becomes invisible in water. Strahl Beverage Ware is a perfect poolside choice.
- Placing citronella candles around the yard will help keep bugs away. Also consider covering food with fabric drapers (available at the dollar store) to keep bugs away
- Have some extra towels, flip flops, hats, sunglasses and bug spray for any guests who may have forgotten theirs at home. You can also make your own bug spray using tea tree oil and water.
No matter what the occasion, it is always great to celebrate with the pool. You can pick a favorite theme, or just have a wet and wild time with some of these great ideas!
One much-loved way to get the message out to your group of family and friends is to write on a deflated beach ball or swim ring, the recipient blows up the ball or ring to read the information (use permanent marker to write with). Or you may want to consider making a flip flop or surfboard from cardstock paper and have the party details available on the back.
One of my favorite themes is the:
Movie Night! (Host a “Dive” In)
- Popcorn Invitation https://www.pinterest.com/pin/177681147771957960/
- Movie Ticket Invitation https://www.pinterest.com/pin/519743613221701447/
Decorations & Needs:
- Screen or side of house
- Inflatable Chairs / Air Mattress / Pool Noodles
- Inflatable drink holders
- Strahl Beverage Ware – virtually unbreakable but with a glass feel, making these perfect for poolside
- Add a “red carpet” with roped off aisle way for guests to enter the backyard
- Add in some movie decorations, such as a homemade billboard showcasing the featured movie and what the event is for, such as a Happy Birthday or Congratulations greeting
Set up a concession stand with Popcorn, Soda, Nachos, Bread Pretzels, Soda, Juice, Hot Dogs and Candies
Choose a movie, classic swimming movies such as Jaws, the little Mermaid or Finding Nemo are terrific choices, or choose one to suit your celebration.
If you’re thinking of having the party last longer than the length of the movie, or want to play some games, you could make your own movie trivia questions, which could be incorporated into any age group. While in the pool the guests start on one side of the pool, if they answer correctly they can advance, if they are incorrect, they have to descend. The first to reach the opposite side of the pool wins.
If you wish to send each guest home with a little “thank you for coming gift” you may want to think about little containers of popcorn, some side seasonings and a note “thank you for popping by”. Or why not one of our beach balls with a “Thank you, we had a ball” written on the side.
Under the Sea or Mermaids and Pirates
Oyster Shell or Treasure Chest made from cardstock or construction paper. Have a flap that opens to read the details.
Decorations & Needs:
- Floating Fish
- Fish Netting
- Sea Shells
- Coral Reef Décor
- Stuffed Parrots
- Eye Patches (not to be worn in the pool)
- Gold Fish Crackers
- Tuna Fish Sandwiches, cut into fish shapes
- Crab Cakes
- Salt Water Taffy http://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/saltwater-taffy
- Crab Dip
- Sand Dollar Sugar Cookies http://www.mamamiss.com/2012/07/31/eats-sand-dollar-cinnamon-sugar-cookies/
- Shark Bite (one person is the shark and has to swim to catch someone, that person than becomes the shark.)
- Buried Treasure – Throw treasure into the bottom of pool, dive to retrieve it
- Captain Hook’s Ring Toss – Throw the ring onto Captain’s Hook. Different hooks have different values, those with the highest value win.
- Escape from the Eels. In this game you have designated “eels” swimming in the pool. Players must swim from one side of the pool to the other without an eel touching them.
- Swedish fish in a plastic bag make a cute Party favor with a tag “Hoping you had a whale of a time”
- Chocolate Gold Coins with a tag “Thank you Matey” or “Thank you, Enjoy your share of the pirate’s treasure.”
- Deflated punching balloons, with a sign labeling them as “puffer fish – in need of a home, please take one”
If you don’t like the idea of a themed party, don`t worry, there are many ideas out there that you can use. Pinterest is a great help with ideas, games and recipes!